Learning Expeditions Weekly Newsletter
November 11, 2018
It was an exciting week at learning expeditions. Here are just some of the things we were up to this week:
- Junior Humanities students have been working hard with local artist Mehran Razmpoosh. Students are using their ideas and symbols generated around cultural sustainability to paint a mural at Stawamus. Students are also independently fundraising for this project, which will include a movie night next Friday, a silent auction, and a GoFundMe → https://www.gofundme.com/help-fund-for-a-mural-at-stawamus
- It was a tense few days for Senior Humanities students, as we found out that a project deadline, a proposal for funding for a public art project through the Squamish Arts Council, was moved up a week! Talk about authentic, real world learning – students worked overtime to reach the deadline in their roles as artists, treasurers, engineers, writers, and managers. No word is officially out whether students secured funding for their vision, but thank you to Mason, Brienna, Kellyn, and Bronwyn for going above and beyond and presenting their proposal n the Council Chambers on Wednesday night. This is what Project-Based Learning is all about. Council deliberations will be posted to Squamish.ca soon!
- Social Justice took a “Really Gay History Tour” of Vancouver. Our incredibly knowledgeable and entertaining guide Glenn took us through the city, revealing the beautiful and fraught struggle for equal rights of the LGBTQ commnity in Vancouver.
- Hello this is Stawamus’ leadership class. We have been busy! We want to create a work out space off the gym for our high school students. We are looking for donations (dumbbells 5-30 lbs, barbells/clips/plates, and a bench press). We are also looking for anyone who has construction/design knowledge to consult with us on Monday November 19th around 1:30 p.m. If you have donations and/or can come in please email our teacher Danielle at email@example.com.
THANK YOU! Leadership Class
- Report cards will be handed out on Tuesday.
- Please find pictures on the next page!
We are so proud of our students! As always, stop by to check out what’s happening. Have a great weekend,
The LEx Team